Friday, June 25, 2004

Haiku

I'm not sure at what point in my education I first learned of Haiku. I know for sure that at that time I didn't like it. However, later in life as I began to develop my writing skills, especially as a poet, I came across the idea of Haiku and took a further look into this unique art form.

I wasn't much into the conceptual rigidity of the art form but was intrigued by it's structure; which I saw as an interesting challenge. "Haiku, Japanese verse form, notable for its compression and suggestiveness. It consists of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables." (Encarta)

When I decided it was time for me to give a crack at this, I found motivation in the very first (unfortunate) news story of the time, the tragic death of Phil Hartman; which inspired the following haiku:


Gone before his time
The need for explanation
May he rest in peace


Having accomplished my goal of writing my first haiku (haiku structured) poem, I quickly came up with four more:


Something moved me
Are there feelings deep inside?
Hold on to your dreams

Whisper's in the wind
And yet, there's nothing spoken
Words are only words

Yesterday is gone
Today is almost over
Tomorrow, I will!

Ringing in my ears
A soul in need of rescue
Free this troubled soul


Until next time, May God Bless You All!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your creativity is overwhelming. I only wish the "bloggers" out there could hear your Brooklyn accent, somehow what you have to say becomes more endearing when you speak! Happy Blogging man
Your efforts are astounding
Your mind intricate

Chris said...

Leave it to my 12 year old neice to realize that one of my Haiku's is in error!
The line "Something Moved Me" is only four syllables, not five!
OOPS!!!