Monday, June 28, 2004

I Hate Politics but Need to Vent a Bit

In the 2002 elections for governor in the state of Massachusetts, I invested more time and effort researching candidates than any other election I have ever voted in. I truly felt that the best candidate for the job was a woman by the name of Jill Stein. At the time, my colleagues in higher education were feeling great pressure at the, for lack of a more politically correct yet less accurate word, let's say stupidity of the administrations of Jane (not so) Swift and Argeo Paul Cellucci. Needless to say, I ended up voting for Shannon O'Brien as she was the candidate the labor organizations were supporting. Let me add that I placed this vote even though everything in me believed it was the wrong vote and that Jill Stein was the correct choice.

This coming November, our country will decide who will serve as the next President of the United States of America. I very strongly believe in my heart and my mind that George Bush is the wrong choice for president. What saddens me is that regardless of who I think may be the best man for the job, I know for certain that in order to ensure the Bush is not our next president, that Kerry must be. I happen to like John Kerry and of the current field of choices, would more than likely have given my vote to him. What scares me is that I don't feel I have a choice but to vote for him.

Since 9/11/2001, I would venture to guess that most Americans would answer the question "who are the two scariest people in the world?" with the response "Osama Bin Laden, and Saddam Hussein." I concur that both are frightening, horrible individuals, but dare I say that in my opinion, the two scariest and most dangerous people to the U.S. are George Bush and John Ashcroft. Bush and Ashcroft through the administration are threatening what makes us American in the first place, our basic freedoms.

Though I deeply regret my position and choice in 2002, I am very clear on what needs to be done in November. I will end here and hope that when November arrives you will do whatever is necessary to see that John Kerry is elected president. Bite whatever bullet is necessary, it was Bush himself that took away your freedom to choose and he threatens to take away alot more of your basic freedoms as well...please vote for John Kerry.

Until next time, May God Bless You All!

No comments: