Tuesday, June 29, 2004

R.I.P. Woodstove


R.I.P. Woodstove Posted by Hello

This is the before picture. That is, before last Friday when we had the woodstove removed, as well as the semicircular brick hearth beneath it. I am not particularly sure why I feel the need the eulogize the shapely piece of cast iron but I must say it provided a generous amount of heat during our first winter in the house. Looking at the bare floor and the empty space in front of the fireplace, I now try to envision what the final result will look like as we plan the next phases of renovation.

The dictionary defines renovation as follows:
1. Make something like new again: to restore something to good condition
2. Refresh somebody or something: to give new vigor to somebody or something

I find myself easily critical of the things in the house I wish to change and often comment on where the previous owner's heads must have been. With the exception of the necessary cash flow, I could probably find ways to completely change everything in the house until it's just the way I like it.

What gets me is that I sometimes spend a ridiculous amount of time pondering these thoughts about a giant inanimate object that simply provides shelter for actual human life. It makes me wonder if the better investment of all that time would be to spend more time focusing on the lives that occupy the house; most of all my own life. Hmmm!

Until next time, May God Bless You All!

No comments: