Sunday, July 11, 2004

Friends

I sometimes think of all the people that pass through one's lifetime. Throughout my life, I've used terms such as "oldest friend", "dearest friend", "best friend", in fact, I've all too often use the word friend more loosely than I should have. There are many people in a lifetime I've referred to as friends, perhaps in the moment or the context of a particular instance or conversation, which really are at best, strong acquaintances (which is not at all a bad thing).

Friends, to me, are people that will remain a part of my life forever. Time and distance have made it such that some of my friendships revolve mostly around memories of great times and an extremely rare phone call, email, or the annual exchange of holiday cards. There are a number of people in my life that I love dearly, with whom I've lost complete contact with or send a card every year - and that's the entire existence of our relationship. These are still people that I refer to as friends. The impact of my interactions with these people in the past has profoundly influenced who I am now. Whether or not I ever see or even hear from these people again, they will always be my friend. It's so easy to lose touch with people as time and distance leave their mark but I've learned that friends, true friends, remain such regardless of all boundaries.

Without question, my two favorite days every year are the days when some of my closest, longtime friends get together for our annual summer and winter reunions. We had all managed to get together one year and had a really great time together. Many of us had realized that the business of our lives and growing families made it difficult for many of us to see each other regularly. When we all finally got together, someone had the great idea to say that we really should try to do this at least once a year. I’m not sure how we ended up making the reunion a twice a year event, but we all agreed that a two Saturday a year commitment was something we were all very willing to make. Without fail, every summer and every winter, a large group of us, along with our families get together and just have a blast; food, drink, conversation, drink, karaoke. The day after every reunion I begin to do two things, remember how much fun this last reunion was and look forward to the next.

I love my friends; all of them. The ones I see very often, the ones I see twice a year, and the ones that I may never see again.

Until next time, May God Bless You All!

No comments: