Friday, August 06, 2004

The Strength in Me

Back in 1990, during a lapse in judgment in my mid 20's, I was going to marry this girl who I ended up not marrying, and not even really knowing (blinded by lust) after more than two years together. However, that is all a story for another time. There was a point back then where we planned an entire wedding, for which there is commonly a point in which the groom has a dance with his mother. I thought it would be a nice idea instead of using the typical, cheesy, wedding songbook selection, that I would write my own song to dance with my mom. From that thought came a song called "The Strength in Me". Here are the lyrics:


The Strength in Me
(C)1990 Christopher Daniele

You raised me, and nurtured me
You held me in your arms
You sheltered me from the cold, cruel world
You kept me safe and warm

You were the star, that guided me
You were the light that shined on me
You are the reason I can be
You are the strength in me

It was always you who believed
In the power of my mind
You taught me all the questions
To the answers I needed to find

It was your courage that inspired me
You paved the way, then set me free
You are the reason I can be
You are the strength in me

You were the star, that guided me
You were the light that shined on me
You are the reason I can be
You are the strength in me

Now the time has finally come for me
to start a family of my own
Using all you've taught me
as the foundation for my home

And if one day my children could say to me
What I'm saying to you tonight
Then I'll know for sure
That I raised them right

You were the star, that guided me
You were the light that shined on me
You are the reason I can be
You are the strength in me


Needless to say, that relationship ended and though Ispent insane money on the wedding, we fortunately never got married. Today, I write this post 14 years later; I've been happily married for a bit over two years - but unfortunately, both of my parents had to attend the wedding from the "sky-boxes" as they have both passed on.

My family was never really the touchy-feely type, we never really said things like "I Love You". Though I sometimes wonder if they knew for sure, I need to believe they knew how much I admired and loved them.

Until next time, May God Bless you All!

No comments: