Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Mindless Ranting

Every so often I do this odd little exercise where I grab a pile of scrap paper, a pencil, and a kitchen timer and simply put the pen to paper and let the mind rant. Today, I did this for exactly two minutes and the result is below. What I always find interesting about this exercise is the lack of context and how the actual words read within that lack of context. Anyway, here goes...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

i don't know why it never made sense and it probably never will but that is the meaning of faith but so find faith hard to find but love is never easy nor is life though life lingers and that which lingers lasts longer if nurtured but how does one nurture what one does not fully understand as time moves forward it doesn't get easier to understand yet our understanding changes somehow making the pain more tolerable though unfortunately more frequent as we allow ourselves to be influenced by that which means less than that, and more important those who are far more significant in our lives.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

over and over its always the same day after day help help help they need my help but they don't realize that i can't even help myself because i am lost completely lost no idea of who i am or where i am going not even why i am where i am right now

2 comments:

Sandra said...

That's a pretty coherent and profound rant, if you ask me.

Chris said...

Thanks, I think. I actually got a call from a close friend who asked if I was having any "personal problems" that I might want to discuss.

Usually, when I do this exercise it is with the intention of completely clearing my mind so that I can gain some fresh perspective on something, usually something I am trying to write. I did this the other day only because I was sitting at a table and there was paper and a pencil in front of me - so I just went for it.

Alot of times I find bits of conversations I've had or overheard, things that I've been contemplating, stuff from movies, books, or newspapers, etc.