Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Wowie Cake

Something you may not know about me is that I like to cook and I love to bake. Once while lecturing a class of students in a computer class and demonstrating how to format recipe pages in Microsoft Word, one of my student was inspired to share with me a book of favorite recipes that she put together from her family.

Amongst her favorite recipes was one called "Wowie Cake". I am led to believe this recipe (which goes by several different names depending on the region it came from) was particularly popular during wartime (WW II) as it required no perishable items. I've enjoyed this recipe not only because it is so easy to make and because of the no perishables, it's ingredients can be handily stored in the cupboard for whenever a craving for chocolate cake happens (every six and a half seconds for me).

Here it is:

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola work best as they are fairly neutral in flavor)
2 cups cold water
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa (unsweetened, for baking)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (please use pure vanilla extract, not imitation)

Mix all ingredients until smooth.
Bake in a 9x12 baking pan at 350 degrees (preheat oven) for about 30-35 minutes.
Use the "toothpick test" for doneness (stick a toothpick in the cake, if it comes out clean, cake is done.

Enjoy and be creative.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

yum. i'm addicted to chocolate and that sounds great. :)