Thursday, October 28, 2004

Boston Red Sox - World Champions

Today, I bow to the enemy. I am a lifelong NY Yankees (or as my friend Jill would call them, the NY Satans) fan and like most Yankee fans, were extremely disappointed with the end result. However, as an honest and die hard baseball fan, I look at these World Champion Red Sox and see what a what a real championship team looks like. This year, and not even for the whole year, it happened down the stretch or sometime just before, they had the one thing that they've been missing for so long, true team spirit.

Today, I look at guys like Johnny Damon (truly one of my favorite ball players), Jason Varitek, Trot Nixon, Derek Lowe (the Sox best Post Season Pitcher who was cast off by his own team and only got a chance in a desperate moment), Curt Schilling (the best thing to happen to the Sox, maybe ever), Orlando Cabrera, and others who saw a childhood dream come to fruition. I'm sure any of these guys would say that just getting to the big leagues was the realization of that dream but they've shown those of us who've watched this game that they have a certain spark, an aura, something that makes them just a little more special than the average player. These men deserve this moment because they earned it.

For the lifelong fans of this team, not the morons who wear the Yankees suck shirts or the Jeter swallow shirts, but for the baseball fans who come to cheer for their hometown team, for better or worse, hoping that maybe, just maybe they can get it together and take home the big prize. Every ball club goes through cycles of rebuilding but over the last 86 years, the Sox have had a number of terrific teams. In my lifetime, the teams of the mid to late 1970's had some of the best talent the game has ever known. Clearly, the team of the last two seasons were a force to be reckoned with and in my opinion, the one of the best, and most dangerous offensive forces in the game. Like I said earlier, this year they found the missing link - teamwork.

Today, I must admit to being proud of this team and happy for them and their fans. I applaud the World Champion Boston Red Sox and all of their dedicated fans. May you all enjoy this victory and be safe.

Until next time, May God Bless You All!

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Please note that any and all acknowledgements relate only to an individuals skills as a baseball player and professional athlete and not their political, religious, or any other affiliations.

Jams said...

YAY!!! I didn't know you were a die-hard baseball fan, Chris! Me, too! While it wasn't exactly what I'd call a nail-biter of a World Series, it did accomplish what I'd been hoping it would: the banishment for all time of the stupid catch-phrase "The Curse of the Bambino".

Bub bye, stupid phrase! May you rest alongside the rotting corpse of the bloated whale which was its origin! :)