Wednesday, November 17, 2004

A Day at the Park

It was the middle to late 1980's an I was attending college at the New York Institute of Technology, Manhattan Campus - which is located across the street from the (in)famous Central Park.

At that particular time, there had been something of a crime spree and as I was standing outside the school building during a break from classes, I peered across into the park and thought about the local headlines and how such a beautiful park could be so tainted.

For some bizarre reason, I also thought about how interesting it might be to write a poem using each letter of the alphabet in sequence and ending up with a 26 word poem. Might next immediate thought was, "what the heck word can I use that starts with the letter X(I'm not so sure "heck" was the word I used in that thought at the time)?" Fortunately, just behind me was an all-purpose pharmacy, soda-fountain, dry goods store. I entered the store and purchased a memo pad, a pen, and a pocket dictionary. I returned to my spot overlooking the park and feverishly flipped through to the X words and found the perfect word for the sentiments that were crossing my mind. "X-ing: (v) to wipe out...."

Having my x-word, I opened the pad, uncapped the pen, peered once more at the park and visualized the headlines of the day. Within 30 seconds, the following poem was written:


A Day at the Park

Aching
Beggars
Caught
Dealing
Eventually
Falling
Grossly
Hateful
Ignorant
Johns
Killing
Ladies
Narcotics
Oppression
Progression
Quitting
Regression
Stupidity
Tiptoeing
Under
Vagrants
Weeding
X-ing
Yesterday's
Zoo

2 comments:

sprizee said...

So to summarize, the glass is half empty?

Kidding, kidding.

Nice work Chris. I see a book deal in your future.

Joy said...

I like this. You expressed what was going on really well.