Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Dizzy Boy and the Mexican Jumping Bean

Hey, that's a pretty cool title, maybe for a children's book. It really doesn't have much to do with this post, other than the dizzy boy - that's me.

Today is the 9th consecutive day of dizziness. When I spoke to the doctor's office the other day after having taken the medication to help with the dizziness, I actually said these words, "the dizziness hasn't completely gone away, but it is at a somewhat bearable level." Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have imagined a bearable level of dizziness, but once the medication begins to wear off, it makes more sense than long-johns in the wintertime.

NFADR Michael actually commented on my last post a reflection of my own thoughts, "...I'm glad you have a sinus infection." It's odd, but I am glad as well. Though they are doing all sorts of other tests on my liver and brain, this is the first diagnosis of anything. It is something more than nothing and as I described in the title of my last post, a glimmer of hope. Right now, my biggest hope is that the sinus infection will respond to the antibiotics, heal, and the dizziness and this entire nightmare will go away. However, until that happens, I must still hope. Now, onto the jumping beans...

From a website I found...

Observe also Metamorphosis (Egg-Caterpillar-PUPA-Butterfly) The seed of a Mexican shrub. (Spurge family-Euphorbiaceae-Sebastiana Pavoniana) is famous for its quick jumping movements.

The movements of a jumping bean are actually caused by a caterpillar that lives inside the seed. Butterflies of the species laspey resia saltitans deposit their eggs in the shrub's flower.

After the eggs hatch, the caterpillars burrow into the young seeds of the shrub. The caterpillar eats away the inside of the seed, but it leaves the seed wall undamaged. The caterpillar then builds a web along the inner wall.

Apparently, the seed jumps when the caterpillar grasps the web and jerks its body vigorously. This helps scare away birds and other animals that might try to eat the seeds.

Warmth - increase the caterpillar activity and jumping. Jumping beans remain active for several months. The caterpillar makes a circular lid by cutting through the seed wall.

The caterpillar later forms a cocoon and begins to change into a butterfly. When the change is completed, the adult butterfly pushes through the lid and leaves the seed.

No comments: