Sunday, January 09, 2005

La Tierra Hermosa

By some unbelievable miracle and pure determination, this poem was originally written in Spanish. What makes it so amazing to me is that I really don’t speak Spanish and rarely, if ever use the language. I studied it for three years in high school and occasionally watch Spanish television; as a result I’ve learned to understand it to some degree. The idea of writing a poem entirely in another language came to me on almost a whim and what you read above is the result of what nearly caused my brain to implode. I hope the end result is as satisfying to you as it was to me. (Christopher Daniele, 1999)

La Tierra Hermosa

La palpita de mi corazòn
La hermosura de una rosa
Hay nada como estupendo
Es la tierra en todo Hermosa

El majestad de lo cielo
La fuerza del ocèano
Tal belleza abrumado
Mì corazòn es en mi mano

* * * * * * * * * *
And of course, the literal English translation:

The beat of my heart
The beauty of a rose
There’s nothing quite as wonderful
As the earth, in all of its beauty

The majesty of the sky
The power of the ocean
Such overwhelming beauty
My heart is in my hand
* * * * * * * * * *
Though I wrote this in 1999, this is the first time anyone other than myself has seen it.

No comments: