Saturday, February 12, 2005

102.6 going once, twice...

It has been a week of transition at work for me. Instead of my usual comfortable position on the Framingham Campus, I am now only in Framingham 1.5-2 days a week while shuttling to the far less convenient and far more stodgy Wellesley Hills campus the other 3 days. Needless to say, this will take some getting used to.

My daughter got sent home from school yesterday with a 102.6 fever. Rather, the school nurse called me at noon (just as I was on my way to lunch on the further away campus mentioned above) and I left work early to pick up my sickly child. Talk about a sense of timing, I get to her school and the exact moment I pull open the front door, and a deafening alarm begins to sound. Somewhat impulsively I flail my arms into the air silently questioning this most unusual greeting while feeling somewhat guilty for unknown reasons.

Seconds later, hundreds of first through third graders along with the entire population of the building were heading for the freezing outdoors as the alarm was simply a fire drill (that just happened to coincide with my attempted entry). Far more disturbing was the fact that my 6 year old daughter with a 102.6 degree temperature is heading toward the 20 something degree outdoors (single digit if you factor in the frigid wind chill) without a jacket. Superdad that I am, off come my comfy warm down coat as I wrap her in its warmth and begin to shiver and shake in hopes that the gyrations will warm me and the fire drill will be short.

Twenty minutes later, we all head back into the gymnasium where the noise level rises infinitesimally as each new group of children enter. Once the entire population is in the gym, we then get dispersed one group at a time to classrooms and the sort. Finally, Victoria and I head to the nurses office to gather her belongings, then the school office to sign her out, and finally back home.

Finally, today the fever hadn't broken yet so we spent 5 hours in the emergency room (instead of going to New York City as originally planned to catch a Broadway show). It's odd to see my usually very active child in such a lethargic state but I guess no matter the age, eventually the body forces you to rest it.

I am tired...catch ya all later.

No comments: