Saturday, March 05, 2005

10,000 a Day - Part 1

"They", you know them, the ones that are constantly ruining your life with recommendations for staying alive without the need for medical apparatus recommend that you should walk at least 10,000 steps a day for "better health".

With my recent cholesterol level being on a mission to mars, I am trying to bring it back to earth without the use of the mighty Lipitor and as such, have been suckered by "they" into giving this 10,000 steps a day a shot.

After some Thursday morning research on consumer reports yielded me the information I needed regarding the top rated pedometer, I headed over to WalMart at lunchtime to purchase my own Omron HJ-112.

As the crack of dawn arrived on Friday (5:50am at the sound of the alarm), I awoke prepared to don my new electronic step counter and prepared to attain my 10,000 step goal. Like any kid with a new toy (geek with a new pedometer), I constantly made spot checks to see where my step count was and realized that 10,000 steps was probably harder than I originally thought (considering the bulk of my work is done while sitting on my fat ass). As the day ended (which included a 30 brisk walk on my treadmill), my trusty new pedometer read a depressingly off a bit step count of 8288 steps. I retired early this Friday and was sound asleep by 9:45pm.

Saturday morning comes along with a new strategy for reaching my goal of 10,000 steps. I thought I'd get on the old treadmill and spend time walking and reading and listening to music for about an hour or so. It was kind of fun to read a bit, listen to some music, and get some exercise. In fact, here's how the treadmill read at the end...



3.22 miles after 65 minutes and 33 seconds. A good head start to my day which included a walk through BJ's for some grocery items and a walk through Lowe's for light bulbs and a look at hardwood flooring and kitchens. As I type this, my pedometer is at 9969 steps at 9:12pm. Needless to say, I'm gonna make it to 10,000 steps today and it was much harder than I originally thought.

2 comments:

Egan said...

Congrats on making it to 10,000 steps Chris. Ever since I watched the documentary Super Size Me I have been curious how many steps I take in a given day. Office jobs are a killer for the step count.

Chris said...

Thanks Egan, as I reply I closed out yesterday with 10116 steps and have 9578 logged thus far (6:11pm EST) for today. This is going to be a tremendous challenge for me but it'll be worth it if I can make a difference to my health.

If you are actually considering a pedometer, though I like the one I bought my one gripe is the belt clip isn't long enough to reach all the way down my belt (which simply may mean my belt is too wide). Peace!