Sunday, June 05, 2005

Goodbye Harry and Phillip

Today was a day of remembering, learning, and mourning.

A memorial service was held for Harry Bennett who passed away at the age of 87. I remember Harry as the "nice old man" who always served as an usher at church. Harry was well known and loved by many and I learned today, a WWII veteran.

Also mourned today at funeral services was Phillip Strine. I never met Phillip but I know his parents from church. Phillip passed on this past week at the age of 41 from a heart attack. I found myself deeply affected by this death as I am 40 and it is the second person within a month or two that was within my age group that died of a heart attack. Mortality checks are never pleasant and even less so when they happen in your peer group.

May the families and friends of Harry and Phillip find the peace and acceptance necessary to move forward. Two people at Phillip's funeral told me something this evening that I'll pass on...remember to tell the people that you love that you love them - don't just take for granted that they know.

No comments: