Friday, June 10, 2005

Yet More Haiku (this time with a twist)

I was cleaning out, or rather, rearranging things in my bag that I carry around and came across a number of Haikus I wrote the day after the last few that appeared here were written. Of the nine in this post, three were written during a faculty meeting and the rest were written during a "customer service training" that many of us at the college were "asked" to attend - it sucked, the person running it had no clue about anything she was talking about, so I cracked jokes and wrote haiku.

This first one was written after the thought of celebrities going to rehab popped into my mind. It simply got me thinking about the idea of addiction, particularly to alcohol and the use of it to self-medicate.



ocean of madness
sorrow's drowning, pain subsides
the wicked liquid


These next two come from a similar place. I commonly "daydream" or "fantasize" about things to help be deal with stress and anxiety. More than anything, these haikus represent (other than how fucked up I really am) where I want to be as a result of my drifting off.



i am a dreamer
at one with my fantasies
in my perfect world
* * * * * * * * *
imagination
sunshine on a cloudy day
at peace with myself


This next one is fairly obvious. The idea of dwelling on the past drives me insane - not just when I do it but anybody.



let sleeping dogs lie
yesterday has been and gone
live in the present


I wrote this next one while thinking about a conversation I had some years ago and a poem that followed it as a result. In short, I was asked how I write poems. After some thought, I wrote a (silly/cute little) poem called Poetic Splicings, which was a poem about writing poems. I wasn't planning on including it here but it came into my head, so I will...then I will follow it with my Haiku about how I write Haiku.



Poetic Splicings

I sit and gather poetic splicings
they're not complete
they are just the icing

A twist and a turn
a scene in my mind
then a simple little stanza
that ends with a rhyme

Two or three times
I follow this formation
and then when I'm through
you read my creation

I'm sitting here gathering poetic splicings
...but I'm not quite done yet...

* * * * * * * * * *
five syllables here
the second line has seven
five more, and haiku


The following four Haiku poems I will leave to your own imagination and interpretation. They all come from some place inside of me and have significant meaning to me. Some may appear obvious and will be, some may be less so than they seem. Ultimately, I always write poems for an audience of one, me. My philosophy of poetry is fairly simple, I write what I feel. As a human, I suspect that other humans, especially those who may read what I've written, have felt similarly (considering most humans share one set of emotions) at one time or another and somehow my expressions can be interpreted in a way that may be helpful and/or entertaining. As a reader of poetry, I feel comfortable that my own interpretation of a poem is the right one regardless of the author's motivation, I want it to mean what it means to me (though I often wonder what was running through the mind of the writer as well). Okay, enough said, enjoy the rest and be well.



watch it fade away
too far gone to save it now
when will you realize?
* * * * * * * * *
writing for no one
words come easier for me
these words are for you
* * * * * * * * *
the page starts out blank
the heart gives way to the pen
the page is now full
* * * * * * * * *
alone in the world
surrounded by emptiness
fulfill me cruel world



Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should ABSOLUTELY write a book. I will be the first one to purchase and hopefully be one of the millions who come to your signing. I like it all. I will pray for your friend. May not get a chance to chat today...I am working on a project where I am having difficulty with -UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGh. If I don't chat. Have a great weekend.

Liz