Sunday, December 10, 2006

Road Trip Shuffle

I'll shortly be on the way to Staten Island, but before I leave I am taking a cue from Bryan's blog (who got the premise from yet another blog)...what a community!

..."'In Random Rules, The A.V. Club asks some of its favorite people to set their MP3 players to shuffle and comment on the first few tracks that come up—no cheating or skipping embarrassing tracks allowed.' Based on the honor system, this could prove a nice little jolt to our languishing blog community."

Here are the first 10 that came up on the shuffle which yielded only 1 embarassing title (which isn't bad considering the number of possibilities).

1. Amarillo by Morning by George Strait from Strait Out of the Box
I vividly remember George Strait'e early years in the music business about 25 years or so ago, it was before I liked country music and me and my buddy Mike used to rip on him big time. I recently saw him in concert, and over the years have grown to love him. What a consistent artist, more than 50 #1 hits on the country charts.

2. Fever by Ray Charles w/Natalie Cole from Genius Loves Company
The song is a classic but what can be said about brother Ray that hasn't already be said by people far more recognizable than little old me. How many musicians/vocalists out there could get you to give a crap about anything that comes out of Natalie Cole's mouth?

3. What’s On My Mind by Blake Shelton from Barn & Grill
Blake Shelton was an artist who had to grow on me but literally the day he did, I went and bought all of his CD's. He has a very distinct style and a good sense of humor,

4. Maggie May (Live) by Melissa Etheridge from MTV Unplugged & More
I loved Melissa Etheridge before she came out to the world and have remained a fan. The song has always been one of my faves and she delivers it here like only she can.

5. Blue Skies by Diana DeGarmo from Blue Skies
What can I say, I'm an American Idol fan and I just couldn't help myself. Bring it on, I'm ready.

6. Frim Fram Sauce by Diana Krall from Steppin’ Out
I absolutely love Diana Krall. JazzySexyMellowHotness...Mr. Costello is a lucky dude.

7. (Are You) The One That I’ve Been Waiting For? by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds from The Best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have an unusual sound and I love to listen to him on those dreary weathered days where I constantly need to fend of the blues.

8. Brilliant Disguise by Elvis Costello from Kojak Variety
The thing I love most about Elvis Costello is his diversity and wilingness to be experimental and do what fulfills him as a musician. This is a neat little cover of a Springsteen song.

9. Primal Scream by Motley Crue from Red, White & Crue
Motley Crue was a huge part of my life around the time I hated George Strait. Odd that now listening to Crue is more nostalgic while Strait is more in tune to who I am now.

10. I Don’t Wanna Rock by Bowling for Soup from Drunk Enough to Dance
I only heard of Bowling for Soup in the last couple of years. What a cool, fun band that I like to listen to with a little side order of Me First and the Gimme Gimme's.

That's all for now...road trip time.

No comments: