Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bits & Pieces

We had our first snow storm (Nor'Easter) which closed many schools in the area. In fact, mine was open but I took the day off since my daughter's school was closed so I am bumming around.

I am reading this book called The Last Good Season which chronicles the Brooklyn Dodgers during their last season before moving to Los Angeles. While the baseball part is really interesting because I am a baseball fan, reasing about my hometown of Brooklyn and the stories about all of the neighborhoods that I am so familiar with are really interesting. It's just so darn interesting to see how things have changed not just in terms of the look and demographics of the neighborhood but also just the way people lived their lives.

If documentaries were like this, I might have enjoyed them more as a young-en...


Happy V.D.

2 comments:

egan said...

One thing is for sure, I don't think you see as many kids playing baseball in the streets. It's really not a sport for the urban folks.

Chris said...

It really was a whole different world when and where I grew up. On my block every house was attached - like one long line of houses and everone new everyone.

We played baseball, stickball, wiffle ball, "Skully", box ball, stoop ball...it was a neat time.