Thursday, April 12, 2007

Overheard

This morning, I felt well enough in my recovery to take 5 minutes to venture out to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts for the first breakfast I've eaten in about a week. My appetite is beginning to return which I guess means the antibiotics are slowly defeating the ugly bacteria in my sinuses and lungs.

The particular Dunkin' Donuts in question is attached to a gas station convenience store. I was surprised at how long the Dunkin' line was at 11:15 in the morning but I took my place in line and waited patiently as I contemplated the sausage, egg, and cheese on a croissant (I was indulging) washed down with my medium decaf with cream.

While waiting, two woman with clipboards walked in and waited to speak to the counter attendant from the gas station, who was busy selling a pack of Marlborough to someone who I would bet wasn't of legal age to purchase them. Anyway, once he tendered the cigarette transaction, the two ladies approached him and one looked at him and said, "Hi, we're from RJ Reynolds Tobacco and we're subbing for your regular guy, may we come back there and service you?" You just gotta love the English language.

No comments: