Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Evil Garage Stairs


The stairs in my garage and I are on the outs of late. I don't recall doing anything to upset them but they are evidently pissed at me big time. Last week, I took a tumble going up them, apparently they moved one of their stair treads while I was climbing, and as a result, ended up with a bruise that occupies 6" on my right arm and features a nugget of a bump that started out the size of a golf ball (not even close to an exaggeration).

Yesterday evening, those same demonic stairs played yet another prank on me, this time while I was going down. The scam this time was to make the step I was stepping down on completely disappear causing me to land in a way where my ankle twisted in directions that it wasn't meant to and as a result, I'm in a fair amount of pain and using a cane today to get around.

I hate using a cane because immediately, everybody gives you that look and wants to know what happened, and I hate to keep repeating the story (I always said that "next time" I would get a digital recorder to record the story on then just hit play when asked – but I never followed through). Of course working in a college where there is a heavy focus on health sciences, I often get a number of possible diagnosis and remedies.
Anyway, Thursday or Friday I'll have a story to tell, barring any unusual circumstances. In the meantime, "Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars."

No comments: