Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bloggers Skrinker Over Thai Food


I'm not sure how much I can add after Brookem's wonderful account of our get together. As you can see I look totally bizarre due to my freaky, random pose which randomly occured - Brookem looks delightful.
Hanging out with Brookem was great fun. It was the second time I had the chance to meet with a blogger and both have been so terrific. Brookem is an amazing person - I did consider showing up in a fireman uniform but I opted for my favorite, jeans and a t-shirt.

I really am in awe at how a community of friends can form in a so-called virtual world. I have been around computers a very long time, nearly 30 years. When I was in high school geeking it up on the PDP-11 with a computer that served 4 workstations with only 32k of RAM and no hard drive, just dual 8" floppy drives, I'd never have imagined that all these years later, that computer could link humans, emotionally. Some of us have talked about this but it's worth mentioning again, there are genuine relationships developing here, real friendships. Heck, it was just a couple of years ago when a young man in the UK starting chatting it up in Bloggerville with a young lady in Cali, USA and now they are married. Several of us joined together to celebrate the pending birth of a fellow blogger's first child. Bloggerville is an extension of the real world with real people.
This post has really strayed from talking about meeting Brookem but I really can't put it any better than she did so I though I would dig a little deeper into this blogger thing we've all got going on. I look back at all of my friends and think about what makes them people I want to know and spend time with and care about. I think that the same processes that we use to "pick" the people we call our friends are the same processes we use to connect with people we communicate with in the virtual worlds we partake in. I really am so grateful to have you all in my life my friends. I have a grandiose wish to meet all of you at some point or other and who knows, maybe we can get that summit together.
I have no idea if I am still making sense, so I'll leave it at that. Brookem, you rock! I look forward to seeing all of you.

16 comments:

brookem said...

chris! you don't have a "freaky" pose in the picture??! i on the other hand, appear as though im wearing a maternity shirt and look like a big goof, but, well, that's just how i roll. sure, post it!
i had a blast, and you know that i agree with all of your sentiments on this blogging phenom! :)

ARM said...

I can't wait to see the picture!! It sounds like a very enjoyable and fun time!!

I have to agree with you about the blogging and how we choose who we interact with out here in blogland. It really does mirror how we align ourselves with people in our real lives. And I think having a good group of people both in the flesh and "virtually" is definitely a good thing. And a friend is a friend no matter how one meets them and no one is too rich to cast aside a friend.

radioactive girl said...

I can't wait to see the picture! I am jealous about you meeting up!

I think arm is wise with her whole a friend is a friend thing no matter how you meet them. I just love all my blogger friends, and know I would like all of them in real life too. I feel like we have such an awesome community and are lucky to have found such wonderful people!

Airam said...

If I were queen of the world I would make a big machine that could transport us anywhere we want with the flick of a switch. Then I would transport us all somewhere exotic where we can hang by a pool and drink mai tai's all day long for as long as we want.

ARM said...

Airam...you need to get on that because I think that's what Brandy was talking about on her birthday list. And it would RULE.

Chris said...

Brookem - thanks for not thinking, or at least letting me think you don't think I look freakey in that odd teapot sort of stance.

Arm - Well said.

Radioactive Girl - ditto!

Airam - When I read your first sentence, I went back and sang it to the tune of "Joy to the World" (Three Dog Night, 2nd Verse). Make the Mai Tai's into Margarita's and I am so in!

Arm - it would rule.

brookem said...

well well, there it is! ha, if you look tea-pottish, then so do i. my right arm looks a little funky and i appear to have no hair. and the prego looking shirt, HOT!

egan said...

Chris, where's your left hand? Just asking.

I think this is great you two met. Both of you are nice individuals so kudos for blogging to bring you two together. It's nice this stuff happens. Blogging is a damn great hobby I must say.

Hey, you're talking about me and our pending baby. So cool to get a nod yo! Have a good Monday gang.

ARM said...

Ahhh!!! So cute the two of you!!!

Egan, Chris's hand is visible...I think you need to be asking Brookem where her hand is!!

liv said...

oh, the world of meeting other bloggers is so much fun. there's something undeniably cool about meeting someone for the first time when you feel like you already know so much about them. it's like life in reverse!

Chris said...

Brookem - teapot isn't all that bad.

Egan - with regard to the hand,see Arm's excellent observation. And yes, you did get a mention - look at that.

Arm - funny how we're talking about an arm.

Liv - thanks for stopping by, I like your notion of meeting someone that you know something about...

egan said...

I know, I saw the hand. I was just messing with you yo! ARM always takes me so seriously, but it's fun for certain gullible games. Bloggers rule!

Chris said...

Egan - you the man! Daddyhood awaits - were in the single digits dude....

Airam said...

Brookem's rocking my favourite colour! Woot!

radioactive girl said...

You guys are adorable! I wish I could meet you both!

Chris said...

Radioactive Girl - come to Massachusettes and I am certain we can make that happen.