Sunday, July 08, 2007

Dutch Oven Update

Two posts within a few days all about a dutch oven, nice f-ing life I got going on, eh? Here's the Le Creuset product:
This one sells for $175.99 at AMAZON.COM, which I can assure you is discounted.
Here's the LODGE product, which I decided to order for $53.99:




Now I have been wrong before, maybe even more times than I've been right. However, LODGE is not a fly by night company in the cookware department and in fact, kitchen experts such as Alton Brown even have LODGE on their preferred list for cast-iron cookware products. I can't bring myself to spend more than 3x more on the Le Creuset (nor can I afford to). By the way, the LODGE actually has a 6 qt. capacity, 1/2 qt. more than the Le Creuset.
I need to wait until the 15th for the expected ship date and a couple days beyond that to receive the product (assuming it ships on time). I already know the first recipe that I'll be cooking in it - I'll post the recipe and the initial review of the product after the fact (cause I got that kind of time to post a third time about a piece of cookware).

5 comments:

Airam said...

It's all about the name ...

The Le Creuset products are really expensive!! My mom has one of their pots and that was because she returned a crockpot at Williams Sonoma since she would never use it.

The Le Creuset pots are beautiful but not something I would spend money on either.

ARM said...

Holy crap those are expensive.

I'm holding out for a Kitchenaid mixer. Ahhhh all my baking dreams will be answered with one of those.

Chris said...

Airam - Thanks for helpring to confirm my decision was a good one.

ARM - I have a Kitchenaid mixer - worth every penny.

radioactive girl said...

Oh, I love the pot! I can't wait to read about the first recipe! Sometimes the difference in price is just for the name. Who needs that?

I also have a kitchenaid mixer and use it all the time. At least once every day (I am sort of out of control with my baking...perhaps I need a support group).

Chris said...

Radioactive - I too am looking forward to getting and using the pot. I am looking forward to exploring your blog deeper soon.