Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Memories, circa 1978

I dug out my elementary school autograph book. I went to "catholic school" growing up so elementary was grades 1 through 8. In eighth grade, we got an autograph book so people could write cutesy and/or mean things to wish you well in high school and beyond. There were also some other pages that we get to fill out such as:

Favorite Song: Detroit, Rock City
High School: Bishop Ford (I did attend Bishop Ford because after 8 years of being beaten by nuns, who wouldn't want four more years of quality catholic school education?)
College: U.C.L.A (I didn't go there, but back in '78, me and my cousin Lisa planned on going out to LA together, her to be a marine biologist and me to be an...)
Profession: Actor & Singer (I guess that dream didn't pan out either. By the way, Lisa didn't get to U.C.L.A. either - she eventually became a NYC Police Officer)

Here are a few standout posts:

Dad: "Mement Auder Semper" (Dad showing off with his command of Latin. I still don't know what it means for certain but I think it something to the effect that I should always be courageous.)
My Brother John: "In your life there'll be lots of strife. Look towards your goal and aim straight. Don't take no one's bullshit..." (That's Johnny Boy)
Danny (not sure which): "Remember the alley, remember the grass, remember the time I kicked our ass." (There's a great memory to relive 29 years later)
Joey Bassolino: "Roses are red, Violets are blue, If you are a chimp, go climb a tree." (How pleasant to be referred to as my simian ancestors)
Dennis Cameron: "Good Luck in High School, College, Marriage, and Death." (Here's a case of Karma biting you in the ass. Dennis Cameron was hit by a car on Flatbush Avenue and killed the summer just months after writing this to me.
Mike Torre (The son of the current manager of the New York Yankees): "May your days be bright and your life be in clover. May everything turn out right and may your toilet never run over."
Joseph Tarrazi: "Thanks for the picture, it was very nice. I use it in my cellar to scare away the mice. Good Luck Always." (How sweet, kick me in the gut then wish me well)
Pat Sullivan: "Roses are red, Violets are blue, I shot my monkey because it looked like you." (Is there a theme evolving?)
Francine White: "When flowers are booming they're ready for plucking. When boys are 14, they're ready for...graduation."

Oh, such sweet memories. Good times.

6 comments:

Airam said...

Thos are pretty sweet and poetic last words from your schoolmates. It sure beats my "have a nice life" saying I got from a couple of them. Although a lot were really drawn out too .. I'm talking like one written page.

High school was a good time but I would never go back.

ARM said...

I like Francine. Go figure the Catholic school girl would write that one while the boys are talking about monkeys.

My friend and I were going through our year books a few weeks ago and reading the stuff people wrote. It was pretty funny!

Chris said...

Airam - there were a few nicer ones, but they'reenot nearly as fun to remember when all of that colorful cruelty is just waiting to be noticed again. Nothing like a little self-therapy session.

ARM - Francine's sister Kathleen was one of my very first crushes. I was so ridiculously naive in those days.

brookem said...

ha, this is a hoot chris. so neat that you saved these.

Chris said...

Brookem - I am glad you find humor in to root of my neurosis. (LOL)

brookem said...

ha, chris... im not laughing at you! i think it's great you saved this stuff and can look back at it.