Thursday, July 05, 2007

Independence Day Meme (A Day Late)

1. Which historical American figure would you most like to be for a day - George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson?
Benjamin Franklin. I think the general perception of Franklin was that he was really smart and I like to be though of that way. Besides, I like flying kites and from what I hear, he was pretty popular with the ladies.

2. America was born partly with the help of the Declaration of Independence. Now, in 2007, make your own declaration right here.
I solemnly declare on the 5th day of July in the year of our Lord, 2007, the following:
No day is complete without at least one episode of Spongebob Squarepants
Blogging rules
All shoelaces should come with a lifetime warranty
Running shoes aren't just for running
Dunkin Donuts Coffee
Hillary in 2008

3. To sidetrack from the American theme a bit - Great Britain lost 13 colonies, but there are surely things that can make up for that loss. Name something about Britain that you admire or enjoy.
Their education system in light years ahead of the US. Plus, some really col music has come from there.

4. Ok, back to America - what do YOU love about America?
(So far) No matter how bad things get, there is always somewhere else where things are far worse, I have lived amongst and worked with immigrants from every country I can name (and a few I can't). In fact, my father was an immigrant. Every one that comes to this country from somewhere else will tell you the same thing about why they come here, opportunity. There is no greater breadth of opportunity regardless of who you are, where you come from, and what you start with.

11 comments:

brookem said...

i really liked your answer to #4. i also appreciate that you mentioned dunkin donuts coffee. because it is a daily staple for me. and im glad you agree.

Chris said...

Brookem-I know our pals in Seattle are attached to their Starbucks. While I don't hate Starbucks - there's always room for a Mocha Frap, when it comes to simple,hot coffee - Dunkin does it for me. However, I do take issue with their use of styrofoam - which really should change.

egan said...

#4 is an important thing to remember for all Americans. I'm not the most patriotic person, but we do have it pretty good here.

Fuck, I will overlook your love for Dunks. You folks from Boston and your love for styrofoam cup coffee.

Chris said...

Egan, It's not the cup my brother, it's what's inside that's so wonderful.

Jill O. said...

Definitely agree with #4. Aren't we supposed to be building a wall so that fewer people have the opportunity for that better life? Love this administration.

I don't touch caffeine and I still like DDs - small decaf comes in a paper cup.

The other good thing about England: a sketch comedy show called "Little Britain" - Netflix it, you WON'T be sorry.

Chris said...

Jill - You're right, the small at dunkies is in a paper cup, they need to follow suit with their other sizes.

egan said...

Yeah, more power to Dunks, but the styrofoam is a no-no. I boycott businesses using styrofoam.

To each their own coffee-wise. I won't try to convert anyone. Just offer an alternative. Trust me, I know there are plenty of good coffee companies. Dunks...

brookem said...

i do like starbucks for the fancier things....like a latte or chai or something funky like that. for the standard iced coffee (which im sipping right now, in a plastic cup), dunks it is. i do agree about the styrofoam business. no good.

ARM said...

Hey! Thanks for "attending" last night! i thought I would come visit you and you and I am so, sooooo happy to read #4. For real. I have so much to say on the topic of immigration, but you summed up pretty much how I feel so nicely. And without the frustration that I normally exhibit because the people I talk with about it are complete asses. I have some work to do in your archives. No, I'm not a freaky stalker. I'm just home today and don't want to do what I should be doing (dishes and/or laundry).

ARM said...

Damnit! Egan, why are my first time comments on new blogs always so awkward??

Chris said...

ARM- Welcome. It was nice meeting you and I look forward to getting to know you and checking out your blog as well. Stalk away!