Friday, July 06, 2007

Would You Believe...An Online Baby Shower?

Last evening I had an unusual, yet completely entertaining experience; I atended a baby shower held online. I think the success of the event marks an evolutionary point in the concept of a "blogging community".

What I really found to be interesting about the experience is that is was not so far unlike the physical act of attending such a party. I met a number of people, some with whom I have some level of acquaintance as some whom I had met for the first time. I had terrific conversation, I laughed, I shared a very real, very important moment in the lives of two very special people...I just happened to accomplish it while sitting in my living room in front of a notebook computer.

To those of you who were there that are reading this, I really did have a good time and look forward to getting to know all of you better. To Egan and N-Po - parenting is something you really can't prepare for, though many will tell you otherwise. I can only offer the following advice (in no particular order): Savor every moment, expect the unexpected, accept the responsibilities, trust your instincts, it's okay to be human, and remember the most important word in the English language...LOVE.

9 comments:

ARM said...

I'm glad you had a good time!! It was a lot of fun to plan with the girls I planned it with! And it was completely new and awesome, wasn't it? Much better than the lame conference call shower I attended at work a month ago. No, really, I did! It was lame. Virtual baby showers are waaaay better.

Chris said...

ARM - While I think what we did the other night was great, the conference call version seems innovative and loaded with possibilites as well. I really loved our little gathering and by the end, the idea of a "blogger summit" is even more interesting.

radioactive girl said...

I really am sorry I was only able to pop in for a minute. It seemed like everyone was having such a good time, and I am sad I missed it. Who is going to have the next baby so we can do it all again????

Airam said...

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry I missed you at the shower! I would've loved the opportunity to talk and get to know you! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!! And thanks for participating!!

Maria

Chris said...

Radioactive-If we can have a virtual shower, there can be a virtual baby too or, just a virtual get together.

Airam-It was a smashing time and I look forward to getting to know you (and others) better.

brookem said...

chris, are you still drinking the leftover white zin from the shower?? i'm glad you had a good time! it's been great getting to know you through your blog and comments lately. i think you're just a hoot buddy!

Chris said...

Brookem - You know me so well, so fast. Indeed I am enjoying the balance of the White Zin, I have years of not partaking to catch up on! Hoot!

sprizee said...

That is some great advice Chris. Love isn't all you need but it's a huge part of the equation.

Chris said...

Sprizee -Thanks, I really missed you that night - I am certain you would have shined in that forum.