Saturday, September 22, 2007

Nolo Contendere

While this may be as cheesy a use for a Latin phrase as possible, I am using it anyway. The new TV season is about to kick into high gear and the godfather of network, prime time reality television just begin its 15th season (there are 2 seasons per calendar year).

A couple of years ago, a new reality show hit the networks fronted by Sylvester Stallone called The Contender. The show needed some reworking and overall, neither Stallone nor the rest of the show was the ratings magnet hoped for by the networks but truth be told, it was compelling television.

The next season, the show came back sans Stallone (except for an executive producer credit) with the great (in my opinion, the greatest - pound for pound) Sugar Ray Leonard in a more prominent role on ESPN. Again, the show was riveting (though somewhat annoying with the ESPN scroll across the bottom).

Season three recently began and already I am hooked. You see my friends, this isn't the same formulaic network flash and the pan over and over, this is gritty and hardcore boxing with very little obligatory drama. This is the real deal but there's a catch, if the sport of boxing is completely meaningless to you, there's no incentive to watch. Perhaps this is why the show failed on networks because ultimately, it's about the plight of the boxer and the human behind the fist.

While I will always be loyal to Survivor, The Amazing Race, and several others I will always look forward to The Contender and the thrill of the fight.

4 comments:

Airam said...

My vow to watch more tv hasn't been going well. I'm still only watching re-runs of Friends and The Simpsons. And Family Guy. I need to figure out when The Office airs because I definitely want to watch that one.

Chris said...

Airam - The whole DVR thing has changed my life. I watch just about everything I want to and best, when I want to and no commercials.

egan said...

I can't wait for the new Amazing Race. Easily my most favorite show on tv with Man vs. Wild in second place.

Oh, I saw a great Family Guy last night. They spoofed Star Wars. So clever it was.

Chris said...

Egan - I love the Amazing Race and I just "Tivo'd" a few episodes of Man vs. Wild on your recommendation.

Family Guy rocks, I have the first 3 seasons on DVD but I've slacked off on the last couple of seasons.