Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Unintentional Sarcasm


Here's an email that I sent to all of my students in one of my classes:
Hello class,
This is a spot check to:
  • See if you are checking your [Name of College] email regularly.
  • Maintaining your inbox.
  • Remind all of you that if you send me an email from an address other than your [Name of College] email account, I will ignore it (per syllabus).
  • Please reply to this message no later than September 19th, 2007.
Here's a response by one of my students, an international student, who I am (reasonably) certain had nothing but good intentions:
Good afternoon professor. Thank you for checking in. Have a good afternoon.
Am I crazy or could the whole "Thank you for checking in" from a student to a teacher be mistaken for sarcasm? I got a good laugh from this.

8 comments:

brookem said...

so you think he meant to be sarcastic? im not sure.... at least he wrote back promptly though!

Chris said...

It's actually a "mature adult" woman from Greece. I think she was just being polite but I laughed really hard when I saw the wording of the response. I'm just too goofy sometimes I guess.

brookem said...

"mature adult" hahaha. oops.

brookem said...

i dont know why i went ahead and assumed it was a male. i do that a lot.

AaroN said...

I laughed, so I guess it was good for something?

egan said...

You may be reading into it too much sir. Just my thought.

radioactive girl said...

That was really funny. When I was in college I emailed back and forth with one particular professor until we each realized it probably wasn't a good idea while I was in her class!

That wording was funny, but probably not intended. At least it made you laugh, right?

Chris said...

Brookem - you crack me up.

Aaron - glad you got a laugh out of it.

Egan - Don't I always?

Radioactive Girl - It was funny. Your story sounds like there's far more entertainment value to it than you're letting on.