Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bizarre Foods

Have you seen this show? It's called "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" and it's on the Travel Channel. The premise is quite simple, Chef Zimmern travels to some locale, usually "exotic" and dives into the culture from a food perspective. Of course, in keeping with the title, the particular foods he focuses on is the "unusual". I am watching the episode about Vietnam right now and as I type this, he's just taken a bite from a bull's penis! I've seen about a dozen or so episodes and each is more bizarre than the next. Give it a shot.

What's the most bizarre thing you have ever eaten?

I've had some good exposure to some (moderately) bizarre "foods" thanks to my dad in my youth and my occasionally adventurous adulthood. I have eaten: calf brains, squid ink, chicken feet, jellyfish, and an assortment of hearts and livers. Oh, I forgot tripe, which I love - you know, the lining of a cows stomach, that tripe.

Your turn...

5 comments:

radioactive girl said...

I am not great at trying food that are out of the normal. I find that I tend to think about it too much and make myself sick before I even try the food. I had heard of the show, and wanted to watch it, but I think just watching it might make me queasy!

When my husband and I were in Jamaica, we tried Ox tail. He thought it was sort of not so good, and I almost threw up because of what I had just eaten. That is probably the only strange food I have ever tried.

AaroN said...

I love that show. And every once in a while, he gets with Athony Bordain and they do something rediculously crazy.

For me, it was an octupus eyeball. wow.

armalicious said...

I've seen ads for that show when I'm watching that Anthony Bourdain show.

As for weird foods, I don't try anything weird or anything that smells funny. I smell everything before I eat it. I can't help it. I don't even eat fish because I can't handle the smell. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to eating.

brookem said...

i wish i could come here and report something really wild and out there that ive tried. i tend to stick with what i know too. ive been more willing to try different things lately, but that just means "normal" things like shrimp, or steak- cooked medium. yes, i am a daredevil!

Chris said...

Radioactive Girl - Ox tail, especially Carribean style, is wonderful.

Aaron - I enjoy when they are together-it seems they push each other's limits even farther.

Armalicious - My cousin Carol used to do that, I mean really take in a good snort before moving further.

Brookem - "Medium?" - You rebel, you.