Thursday, October 04, 2007

Early Birds


On our campus, the library and computer lab share the same physical space and entry way. Our posted opening time is 7:45am, but I often arrive early and as a courtesy, will open the doors and allow students to come in. however, my generosity has created an unnecessary and unwarranted expectation amongst these people which has me bitching to all of you wonderful folks.
During the time before 7:45, I like to enjoy a piping hot cup of Dunkin' Decaf (despite the ridiculous Styrofoam cup, which I must admit does a bang up job of keeping said coffee piping hot for long periods) and perhaps a breakfast item while catching up on my email and sorts. It deeply disturbs me when someone asks for my help or even addresses me during this period of time.
I have at points in the past tenish years entered and locked the door behind me but the door is glass and everyone starts knocking and looking all stupid at me like it's their right to come in if I am there. Then there those who arrive even earlier than I (morbidly insane if you ask me) who camp out at the door and rush it once I unlock it. What I think I need is a key to the disability services area where I can sneak in the side door and be done with the fools.
Hopefully my "new" office area at the back of the library will be ready soon so that I could not only sneak in the side door, but also flee to my (semi)private spot in the back to relax without having to look at the gloomy and often pathetic stares of those desperate to get in and somehow craft an entire paper before their 8am class.

11 comments:

brookem said...

decaf chris? explain yourself.

Chris said...

Caffeine fucks me up big time. Heart goes a racing - even got hospitalized once.

AaroN said...

In the meantime, just take paper over the windows. Or better yet, tape paper over a portion of the window so that they either have to stoop (or kneel) or stand on their tippy toes to give you pathetic looks. If they're gonna bother you, they can at least do it will entertaining you at the same time!

(And I agree with the caffeine. Too much and my heart starts racing.)

Chris said...

Aaron - I like your trrain of thought, really mess with them! I am not completely insensitive to their often pathetic state, I recall my collge days. However, aside from the fact I was far more responsible that most of the kids I see, the sheer volume of these student I see and have seen over the years has desensitized me somewhat.

armalicious said...

This post sounds familiar. And I figured out why. Because everything you have said sounds exactly like what Mr. ARM used to complain about with his restaurant. He had to be there at 8, but they didnt open for business until 11. Ugh. Sorry for the annoyance...people are stupid sometimes.

armalicious said...

Sometimes? maybe I mean a lot of the time.

armalicious said...

I have a question for you that I keep meaning to ask but keep forgetting.

Did you get the idea for the title of your blog from this song? I've heard this song about 15 times this past week and keep wondering if this was the inspiration for your blog title.

egan said...

You and your love of ozone depleting styrofoam cups.

Chris said...

Armalicious - I remember being in retail and all the scavengers showing up trying to get in early and after closing.

Yes, that is the song that inspired the blog title (i mention it in my very first post).

Egan - It's not the cup, it's the luscious liquid within. I would have no problem if Dunkin' got resourceful and used paper cups.

Airam said...

I think that's a great idea! Sometimes you just need that 10-15 minutes to yourself to enjoy a cup of coffee ya know!

Chris said...

Airam - sn't it nice to just have those few minutes of sanity before the insanity?