Friday, October 26, 2007

TV: For Better or Worse

When I was a little kid, there was no cable TV. We had just a handful of channels (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13). Choices were simple, you had your soaps, cartoons and educational stuff (on PBS) and game shows in the day time, in the evening there was news, sitcoms, drama, Monday Night Football, and the occasional mini series; PBS has old fart artsy shit (which I now occasionally watch). Looking back and at what I watch now, and how I watch it (we didn't have a VCR until the early 80's and of course, there was no TIVO), I can't imagine how I survived (LOL).

The landscape of TV has changed so dramatically in such a short period of time but I wonder if the current version of the medium really is "better" than the old days. I clearly enjoy the vast array of choices but I know that I watch way too much TV. I constantly question if I would be more productive in other areas were it not for my TV essentials. Would I write more? Read more? Do things in the house that need doing?

2 comments:

Airam said...

The older I get the less tv I watch. The only "new" show I watch is The Office. Or else it's re-runs of The Simpsons or Friends. And that's it. There are days where I don't watch tv at all. Although now I'll get in a half hour or maybe an hour more nights of the week now that I'm done my program.

I don't know if it's the quality of television that made me stop, the fact that I had no time and now I'm in that habit ... or the fact that there's just so much out there it's overload for me and I don't know what would be good so I don't bother watching.

Although I did watch a couple of first episodes from new series that I thought were good. I just forget they're on and then don't watch any more shows. The one night I know I have to be in front of my tv, though, is Thursday at 9pm for THe Office. That's the only time I actually schedule television.

Chris said...

Airam - For some reason, probably because its before 7am on a Saturday as I read this and I'm somewhat delusional expescially since in the next 24 hours I will give a final exam, submit grades for the class, drive to NYC, attend my HS reunion, then drive back. All that to say that I actually imagined you saying your coment through your little avatar mouth - and it was very cute.

Do all of the major US networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) broadcast there?