Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007: The Year in Review Part 3-The Books

By years end I will have read 23 24 books in 2007. I don't typically rate or review books until this past August when I was invited to contribute to "Book Me In" at which point I have done my best to follow up each book I read with a review over there. So, for the books on the list that do not have a review over there, I will give you a quick one liner and a link to Amazon.com (if available). For the books that have reviews over at Book Me In, I will offer a link to the review I wrote over there.

1. I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris
Not so much a book as it is a forum. I love Amy Sedaris and this was just lots of fun.

2. Things Seen and Unseen: A Year Lived in Faith by Nora Gallagher
If you have an open mind and some sense of spirituality, give it a try. I loved it.

3. The Last Good Season by Michael Shapiro
A brilliant book about the hey day of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the culture of the time and place it all happened.

4. The Grim Grotto (Book 11) by Lemony Snicket
I took it upon myself to start the series so being all OCD and stuff, I have to see it through until the end.

5. The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
I am a huge fan of all things Bryson. I did this on audio since I was able to get an unabridged version read by Bryson himself. A treasure.

6. The Cell by Stephen King
One of the more violent King books and a worthy read if you can stomach it.

7. A Pilgrim's Way by Walter C. Righter
Walter C. Righter is a retired Episcopal Bishop who was once charged with heresy for ordaining and openly gay man. This is an important book for anyone who has any real concern of human rights issues as Righter discusses the whole ordeal in great detail. Walter Righter just happens to be the bishop who received me into the Episcopalian faith and is a truly wonderful man.

8. Black Market by James Patterson
I'm one of those freaks whose gone on to read all of his back catalog after getting into him much later.

9. Are You Running With Me, Jesus? by Malcolm Boyd
A wonderful collection of prayers and poems from a man on a spiritual journey.

10. The Penultimate Peril (Book 12) by Lemony Snicket
See # 4. One bonus is that until I read this book, I didn't know the definition of penultimate.

11. The Midnight Club by James Patterson
See #8. Pretty intense.

12. The End (Book 13) by Lemony Snicket
I saw it through to the end and while the story along the way was entertaining for the most part, I was disappointed with how it all ended.

13. Extreme: My Autobiography by Sharon Osbourne
A good read that explained alot, to me.

14. The 5th Horseman by James Patterson
the fifth (as the title implies) installment of The Woman's Murder Club, a terrific series with terrific characters (and now a TV series).

15. Can You Drink the Cup by Henri J.M. Nouwen
Another of those spiritual journey books.

16. Four to Score by Janet Evanovich
The Stephanie Plum character - another series. I enjoyed this.

17. The 6th Target by James Patterson
See #14 only replace the word fifth with sixth.

18. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Steven Dubner

19. High Five by Janet Evanovich
See #16.

20. The Gospel According to Starbucks by Leonard Sweet

21. I Killed: True Stories of the Road by Ritch Shydner and Mark Schiff

22. Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton

23. Mary Mary by James Patterson
An Alex Cross novel, I still have about 80 pages to go but enjoyable thus far.

24. Tony and Me: A Story of Friendship by Jack Klugman with Burton Rocks

No comments: