Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Accidental Shmaccidental

From Associated Press, "The death last month of Kevin Dubrow, lead singer for the 1980s heavy metal band Quiet Riot, has been ruled an accidental cocaine overdose." I wish not to disrespect the dead or his family, but that term make no sense to me whatsoever.

First off, Cocaine isn't a prescription drug, there is no correct "dosage". Any amount of cocaine is an overdose.

Second, technically, isn't any overdose accidental? An intentional overdose would be suicide, wouldn't it?

I think part of the problem is that we need to nice every damn thing up. We are too afraid to confront the ugliness of certain situations and as a result, society begins to believe that the worst isn't as ugly as it is.

2 comments:

AaroN said...

I never thought about it like that, but you're correct. There isn't such a thing as a dosage in this case! haha

Chris said...

Aaron - that's what I'm saying...