Friday, December 07, 2007

Beware, The Bookworm

Earlier I commented on Erin's blog and realized how much I love the story I told there and couldn't remember if I had ever shared it here. I did a search on the blog and couldn't find it so I am gonna tell it and if by chance I have told it and the search engine was wrong, I hope if you are hearing it again that you enjoy it again.
* * * * * * * * * *
My friend Mike and I used to go on these marathon shopping trips mall hopping through New York City. One time, my car had two large boxes filled with books that I had intended to donate to the library. However, during this one marathon shopping trip upon returning to the car, our bounty had required far more space than currently available (because of said books) and so we decided to place one book on each car in the lot until we were out of books. Afterward, we just sat in the car for a short while and watched as people would return to their car, see the book and start looking all around. What was really fun, funny, and cool is that an informal book swap began to occur - people would go to other cars and "trade" for a book they preferred. It was wild. As we drove out of the pay lot, I gave my money to the attendant and looked at him straight in the eye and said, "Beware - The Bookworm!" then drove off into the chilly night.

I don't think I'll ever forget that.

4 comments:

bostonerin.livejournal.com said...

This could start an anonymous book-depositing revolution.

I'm all for it!

Chris said...

Erin - Ha! It would be so coolto maek the press on a story like this one.

radioactive girl said...

This is the coolest thing I ever heard. How awesome would it be to be the recipient of such a great surprise!

Chris said...

Radioactive Girl - When we first started placing the books it just felt goofy but after sitting back to watch it play out - it really was something special.