Thursday, December 27, 2007

(**Sniffing Sounds**) Is that Gas I Smell?

I went up to bed last night and there was a strong smell of gas in the bedroom. Desiring to awaken in the morning, I set out for a deeper understanding of the problem. I paraded about the house from the basement up to the attic and the only place where that smell existed was the bedroom.

Baffled, and still desiring to awaken come morning, I placed a call to the local fire department and discussed my concerns at which point the dispatcher ensured me that they would send someone right over. At this point I was relieved knowing someone would be over soon since I live just a few block from the firehouse and this someone would have the skill set necessary to determine if my goal of awakening would be possible if I chose to sleep in said gaseous room.

In the meantime, I scoured about the room looking for a possible feline "incident" or considering the possibility of a trapped dead animal in the duct work; then came the surprise. I really expected the "official" looking firehouse employee in the snazzy firehouse SUV, low profile and all. I look out the window and there is a full blown fire truck, lights and all along with the SUV guy and two firepeople in full uniform with masks and gear in tow ready for anything. Oh, did I mention that it's now midnight? This is the good part about not really knowing the neighbors all that well because inevitably, they are wondering what the hell is going on and now, they just need to fabricate their own version of the scenario.

Anyway, they firefolk ensured me that all was safe yet offered no explanation for the scent, which had diminished greatly by the time they had been there. As I write this some 22 hours later, there is no longer any trace of the scent...HMMMMMM!

3 comments:

Airam said...

That is strange .... it's a gaseous anomaly!

Chris said...

Airam - It's that wittiness that makes me heart you so :)

AaroN said...

Can firemen smell gas through gas-masks?