Monday, January 14, 2008

Snow Day

An overnight Nor'Easter led to school being closed and a day off today. I spent more time than I would have liked (not that I'd like any time doing this) moving snow. My snow thrower wasn't being all that cooperative initially but it eventually did what it was supposed to do.

Back on my birthday last month, I posted an unusual song called Birthday Song by The Necrophiliac Creatures of Evil. It was fun to find the song but I thought nothing of it after that until today when I received a comment on that post by their singer, Raze Raven 13 - how cool is that?

After moving all that snow, I thought I'd cozy up to a movie, so I watched Marie Antionette. I had two specific motivations for watching this film, my love for Sofia Coppola’s film making and my crush on Sofia Coppola. Marie Antionette was another very well made film, meticulous in the Coppola style with sets, costumes, and cinematography that was bordering on brilliant. The problem for me with this film is that it is a period piece and about a period in time for which I find boring, disgusting, and ridiculous.
Despite my disgust for 18th century France, which made the story uninteresting to me, it is clear to me that this film was successful in capturing the essence of what Coppola’s screenplay extracts from history. I managed to stick with the entire two hours only because of the precision of the film itself, there was always something interesting to look at.

2 comments:

Airam said...

I wish I had a snow day! Damn Canada ... you think we'd have one since we're more north than you!

Chris said...

Airam - No snow in your parts?