Friday, January 04, 2008

A Thought and Righting A Wrong

A Thought
As I was working on a colleagues computer it occurred to me that the expression "ugly as sin" means absolutely nothing to a satan worshipper.

Righting A Wrong
Yesterday afternoon, amidst a hectic day of sorts, an adjunct professor came to my desk and presented me with a CD-ROM, a "homemade" looking one with sharpie writing on it and asked if I could install the software in the room that he would be teaching in for the spring.

Instead of being anything close to professional, my usual, I was a real dick to him. Now he appeared a but huffy as well but he really wasn't being a dick, he simply didn't deserve to be treated the way I treated him.

Of course, it was about 9:00 pm, the first time I really had a chance to be alone with my thoughts, when I realized this and it was someone whom I had never worked with, but I did have his email address and the need to offer an apology.

So, I wrote him a note apologizing for my behaviour to which he responded not only with forgiveness, but an apology of his own for his "scruffiness". Perhaps I am growing up after all, I think that in the past I not only wouldn't have taken the time to apologize but also the time to realize, accept, and admit that I was rude. Granted, rudeness isn't something I'm known for but we all have our moments, I am just glad that I was able to take the time to recognize this moment and to want to make it right and take the action to do so.

5 comments:

egan said...

See, blogging has made you a better man.

I'm not even sure what constitutes a sin, but I'm a heathen.

Joy said...

Awww, our little Chris is growing up. Seriously, well done! I'm sure it made him feel better and you, too.

Chris said...

Egan - It's all the good influences here in bloggerville.

Joy - I know I felt better.

AaroN said...

Way to suck it up and make the first move. The embarrassment you might feel for putting yourself in that situation is only temporary. But the respect you may acquire from it will last a lot longer...

Chris said...

Aaron - Thanks - that makes me feel good. I just know how I hated being treated the way I treated him so I had to make it right.