Sunday, March 23, 2008

Alleluia, Christ is Risen

The Lord is Risen Indeed, Alleluia!

I recognize that these words and the celebration of Easter is not part of everyone's beliefs or culture. The significance and symbolism for me however are extremely significant.

The sermon today included a piece from a speech made by Bishop Gene Robinson of New Hampshire. For those of you who do not know who he is, he is the first ever openly gay man to be consecrated as a Bishop in the Episcopal Church and what a stir that created.

For the record, I fully support his consecration as I support the ordination of gay clergy and gay marriage as well. For me it's a no brainer, it boils down once again to human rights.

I wish I had the text that was read today because it really would was compelling. I'll get it to you soon enough but in a nutshell, Gene Robinson was asked to wear a bullet proof vest the day he was consecrated as Bishop. That's how much controversy and hatred was stirred up and that was amongst people who are "devoted Christians".

For me, Easter is about rebirth and hope and salvation and forgiveness and love. Easter is about the ultimate sacrifice made for all human kind.

2 comments:

Airam said...

Happy Easter Chris!

I couldn't have said it better!

Essentially Me said...

He had to wear a bullet proof vest? WTF?