Thursday, March 27, 2008

Passing Gas


This is not a post about farting nor will reacharounds be mentioned except this one obligatory time comfortably, yet inappropriately nested in the same run-on sentence that mentions farting.
To ask if you've noticed the prices at the pumps would be silly, of course you have. But has it struck you yet how gas prices have impacted everything else? Holy moley, it's out of hand I tell ya.
I would estimate grocery prices are up about 20%. I remember being in Hawaii a couple of years ago and one of the tour guides asked, "Have you seen the price of a gallon of milk here on the Island?" Just a few short years later, boom (though I would suspect their prices how have increased proportionally). I decided to go to Boston Market for lunch today and what once was an overpriced, unsatisfying meal at about $6 or $7 was over $9 (it's back to the PB&J in my office cupboard to recover).
I recently spoke with my plumber, more accurately, the plumber who has done all of the plumbing work on my home since I've owned the house, and he now adds a "gas surcharge" to every house call and the cost is based on the distance traveled. When a plumber needs to ask for a gas surcharge, things are getting tough.
Is anyone out there other than me nervous, upset, or and/or scared?

2 comments:

egan said...

I have heard about these gas upcharges on the news. Airlines, UPS, grocery stores, taxis, etc. are doing them. I get it, but what I don't like though is many times they don't remove the surcharge when gas prices tumble. And when gas is much lower you will not see them lowering their prices.

Please tell me you're not one of those who drives 10 miles out of their way to save 15 cents/gallon.

Chris said...

Egan - good point about them dropping the surcharges. I don't drive extra for the better prices though I do try to carefully observe prices as I pass gas...stations and make mental notes as I keep track of when I need gas and where I'll be.

With gas prices at this leve I tend to plot out my car trips to maximize the time and gas usage.