Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Online Classroom

Today I received confirmation that I'll be teaching an online class in the Fall. I've been waiting for a long time to get the opportunity to do so and am looking forward to the challenge, especially since the class that I am teaching is called "Computers & Technology"; an intro to computers course.

I've spent a great deal of time, especially in the last three or four years, studying best practices for delivering content to an online audience so I am looking forward to adding that knowledge to my nearly eleven years of in-class teaching experience and seeing what happens.

In other news:

I've had two roofing contractors come by thus far and a third is scheduled to come on Thursday. The guy that came yesterday was impressive but I haven't seen his numbers yet. I had a guy show up today who was less polished on the sales end but I liked his personality, presentation, and he mentioned that his quote would include a virtual mirror of the services of the guy who came yesterday. Today's guy gave me a quote of $6650 which will be helpful when yesterday's guy offers a number for comparative purposes.

Today's guy came on the recommendation of a friend who recently had a roof done and was pleased with overall product and service. The guy coming Thursday comes on the recommendation of a colleague; I look forward to seeing what he will have to say. I just hate the idea of tossing that kind of cash on something like a roof, though I know it's a necessity it's just so not glorious. You can't invite people over to come see your new roof and not expect them to thing they should be attending an intervention.

In other, other news:

Sometime soon I need to go buy new running shoes (though only for walking purposes, these knees ain't made for running no more) and check out some of the nifty anti-chaffing products as recommended by Egan.

On Podcasting:

I haven't abandoned my podcast, just needed a break - it's tons of work and I was feeling a bit burned out. I suspect a podcast will be ready for next week.

R.I.P. Al Wilson

4 comments:

egan said...

Aw, we need a new roof really bad. I'm curious to see how things turn out. I personally tend to go with people I get along with since if there are issues, it's easier to chat with a foreman with a personality. You don't want to be scared to call the hired help.

I've had great luck with New Balance and Asics shoes, but I have high arches. Not sure what your feet are like though. Anti-chafing is my niche.

Chris said...

Egan - I'll keep ya posted on the roof. You are right though, it should be an easy call to make not one where you dread making the call.

I used to wear Asics all the time back in the 90's, mostly their cross-trainers. I don't recall at what point but they started cutting their shoes differently and I haven't been able to wear them since.

Joy said...

I'm interested in hearing how your online class goes. Keep us posted (as if you won't)! Will it be a video presentation and a sort of website or what?

The new roof shows up about like tires. I hate buying them for that reason. I went through all that with the roof - estimates, decisions, work, and paying for it.

Oh, you have to check out the latest post on Stuff White People Like about New Balance Shoes. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com I love that blog!

Chris said...

Joy - that was super funny!~