Thursday, July 24, 2008

What's Going On

I'm still trying to catch up on a host of things since returning to my so called life here on the East coast. My plans for the weekend are to create a podcast (which will feature some material recorded live in Las Vegas), which I haven't done in too long of a time. Also, I am planning a piece entitles "Las Vegas, the Grandest Illusion of All?" We'll see what happens.

I've grown a bit confused on the political front. I am certain that Barack Obama is the only candidate that makes any sense to vote for yet there are actually people who are considering John McCain and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

I was alarmed today to read of an apparent AIDS crisis going on the the south. So as to be clear, when I say the south I mean in our very on country, the U.S. of A. You can read about it here (at least today you can) but more importantly is the realization that this is a very real problem that we all need to be concerned with and take part in addressing.

Unless you or a friend or family member are active with AIDS based charities or god forbid have lost someone to this disease (R.I.P. JF), it really isn't as in your face as it was in the 80's and at least some of the 90's. While great strides have been made in education programs and medicine, until it no longer exists or there is a sure shot cure, AIDS is and will always be everyone's problem and we need to ensure that our politicians are properly funding education programs and that we all do some part in the process whether it's donating to AIDS based charities, educating, or something other than ignoring it or leaving it to someone else.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I had no idea about that report about HIV/AIDS in the South. Based on the decline in student brain activity, I'm not surprised. I know that sounds mean, but we teachers lament this and try to figure out what to do about it. Many of them don't think and don't want to. So I'm sure they don't even consider the possibility that could happen to them.

Teen pregnancy is an epidemic, so obviously they are having unprotected sex. It drives me crazy. Now I can be upset about the AIDS deaths here.

Joy said...

I meant to agree with you about not understanding why anyone would vote for McCain. There's no comparison. It feels so good to be proud of a representative of our government who looks and acts presidential! I can't wait until we have President Obama!

Chris said...

Joy - I understand exactly what you are saying. President Obama, I like the way that sounds.