Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The 1000th Post


I sit here and worry about what to type for my 1000th post yet I realize that worry is probably the wrong thing to be feeling. I do however wonder if it was such a wise idea to reflect back after every 100 posts, I could have used some of that material here :). When I started this blog I had no real idea how it would take shape, whether or not it would take on an identifiable personality, or if I'd be able to effectively express myself in this medium.

It all started on a redwood picnic table outside of Gerard farms in Framingham. Amongst the people I was having lunch with was my friend Jill. Jill was telling me about her experience in having recently started her own blog and I was quickly convinced that this was something I wanted to try. Before I continue I want to say to my dear friend Jill, if you are reading this, thank you for the inspiration, please get your butt back to blogging, and most of all congratulations on your pregnancy.

In the early 1980s when I wrote my first poem , I did not do it to become a poet, and later when I started to write (more frequently), at no point did I ever consider myself a writer, rather just someone who happens to write.
At some point when I looked back over more than 20 years of having written I entertained the idea of assembling a book. The original working title was "Poetry in Motion" and the premise was to include some of my poems along with a narrative for each poem that tells the story of how that poem came to be. I always felt that because all of my poems came from my own emotions, that there were others who might have shared those emotions and by including other reflection for each poem, for reader and I can connect in a more personal way. I have sat in front of a word processor at least a dozen times trying to start that book and never got more than a page into it before giving up; I can only assume it is because I am not a writer just someone who has written-and I am okay with that whether or not that is the actual reason.
As I celebrate this 1000th post here on From a Whisper to a Scream, I can proudly say I'm not just someone who blogs but I am a blogger and that was always my intention. When I think about how many words I must have written over the course of 1000 posts, I'm guessing that there would be at least enough for a novel though I won't get cocky, just look back with amazement and pride.
Far greater than the accomplishment of typing a lot of words, the greatest gift I've received from writing this blog was meeting all of you who read it. Getting to know so many of you by reading your blogs and your comments on mine has been both a rewarding and fulfilling experience. So many of you have helped me to learn more about myself, to be a better person, and to accept and understand the importance of saying what you need to say, and even more important listening to what other people are saying. Thank you to all of you, those who read here regularly, those who stop by every so often, those who commented and those who did not, those whose blogs I've read and still continue to read, and everyone ingeneral who inspires me – I love you all for that. I look forward to what is yet to come.
530.

5 comments:

Essentially Me said...

1000?! Wow, congrats!

egan said...

There you go again with thie 530 stuff. Good work friend. It seems like so long ago that I started blogging and I know you were doing it before me. Kudos to you and keep up the great work. The bonds we make via blogging are pretty remarkable.

Chris said...

Essentially Me - Thank you much!

Egan - I couldn't help myself with the 530. I love this whole blog universe we are a part of, thanks for being a part of it.

egan said...

Damn straight sir. It's a cool thing and is becoming more commonplace. Hearing Bob Costas say "blogosphere" freaked me out.

Joy said...

Congratulations! Well done! We're a community. :-)

I have a little over 1600 on mine (counting Joy's Updates since this one is a continuation of that one). Hard to imagine all those words, isn't it?