Friday, October 03, 2008

(Not much of an) Epiphany

I was listening to the 70's station on Sirius Satellite earlier and getting into the music. There was a moment where I actually referred out loud to myself in the joy of song how I loved listening to this music partly because it was a simpler and better time.

Almost immediately I realized two things:
  1. In the 1970's, I was ages 5 (at the very start), through 15 (at the very end). While I remember them very well, of course it was a simpler time, duh, I was a friggin' kid.
  2. It wasn't all that better a time in the world, inflation sucked back then, the economy had hit a rough patch, interest rates were at record highs, and we were ending a major war (Vietnam) as well as about to get into another situation with Iran (remember the hostage crisis?)
Clearly, as fucked up as things were, I was a kid, and it didn't affect me enough to the point where I understood (or cared) how. Things are totally wacky now because I have responsibilities and a fucking mortgage while the politicians are stealing my retirement from under me and making paying said mortgage more challenging that a racquetball game.
And with that, I am going to bed, goodnight Gracie!

2 comments:

egan said...

You're like so old and stuff.

Chris said...

Egan - I was shooting for wisdom/cynic over old but hey, why be choosy? :)