Monday, October 27, 2008

Somewhere in the Middle of Things

I've spent a good amount of time since Friday grading exams (or as the exquisite Essentially Me would say, marking tests - I need to transition to that, marking sounds so much better than grading) and computing the ever annoying midterm grades (midterm marks - I love the alliteration!).

It's interesting to compare the variance of the grade spread between my two sections. One section, I teach during the day to the "typical" community college student, between 17 and 22 on average and for the most part, they still have this high school mentality. The other class is taught completely online; I never see the students. Once the initial weeding out process which I got out of the way mostly before the start of class) was through, what remained, for the most part, are people who have discipline and are determined to do what it takes to get a good grade.

Here are the stats between the two classes:

There are 17 in the online class and 25 in the "Misfits" section.

I'm not a big fan of the midterm grade in general, I'm on the fence about them philosphically. However, we do what we must do.

All my grades are in and now, I take a deep breath.

3 comments:

Essentially Me said...

Oh I can't wait til all my MARKS are in and I get to breathe!

:)

Joy said...

Wow! That's quite a disparity, isn't it?

Rob C said...

You should build in the F - Grade.. it would then be more accurate.