Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Lambeth What?

I participated in a discussion about something called "The Lambeth Conference". There are a number of issues under discussion in the Episcopal Church and some issues currently affecting the relationship with The Anglican Communion, The Episcopal Church USA, and many churches within the Episcopal Church USA.

One of the most controversial subjects discussed stems from the consecration of the Rev. Gene Robinson, an openly gay man, as a Bishop. While many churches in the Episcopal Church have been "tolerant" of the ordination of homosexuals into priesthood, there seems to be greater issue in the area of Bishop.

Woman were first allowed to be ordained into the priesthood in the Episcopal Church USA in the early 1980's and the current presiding bishop is a woman.

For me, what attracted me to my current parish, and on a larger scale, the diocese of MA, is that they are progressive. There is no logic, in my opinion, to limiting the choices for clergy (at any level) based on sexual preference or gender - it has nothing to do with the job at hand.

I hope that sometime, preferably but highly unlikely, soon, this will all be properly resolved. It's sad that people of "so-called faith" can have such opinions especially when the Episcopal church is "supposed to be" more liberal than many of our Christian counterparts.

I hope this is coherent enough to be readable, I am out of steam after grading assignments.

No comments: