Friday, December 12, 2008

Perfect Disappointment

When I first heard Keane's alubum "Hopes & Fears" I thought to myself how could this possibly be any better? Not only was there something distinct about their sound but the songs were just so well crafted. I have listened to that CD so many times and every time I love it more.

The follow up to Hopes & Fears was "Under the Iron Sea", which couldn't possibly live up to the awesomeness of Hopes and Fears but sadly, it seems that Keane didn't even try. I don't dislike the disc but it just doesn't have the same kind of impact as its predecessor.

And then, apparently Keane threw in the towel with their latest release, Perfect Symmetry. It's rare that I would use this phrase but the fact is, this album sucks. While there are (very) brief reminders of what made me fall in love with this band listening to Hopes & Fears, in total, these songs are forgettable and there's one point where Tom Chaplin begins to gurgle mercilessly - I almost pulled the CD out of my car and threw it out.

Very sad.

2 comments:

SM said...

Ugh. I hate it when I fall in love with a band and then their follow-up albums blow. It happens far too frequently these days.

Chris said...

SM - In the music business, they say, "you get your whole life to put together your first album but only a year or two to come up with the second."

I guess they just blew there wad. they should vanish for like 20 years then try a comeback.