Friday, January 09, 2009

Tie Breaker


During the time that classes are in session during the Fall and Spring semesters, I dress up in shirt & tie, slacks, shoes as opposed to when there are no classes in session and summer when I dress way down in jeans, sneakers and the sort.

Every now and again, during lunch break, I'll go to a store to return something and I've noticed that regardless of the store, the way I am dressed influences the treatment I get at the return counter. The one exception is Best Buy who treats all of their customers who wish to return merchandise like they are the devil's spawn (it is this reason I no longer shop there unless absolutely necessary).

Darn, I thought I'd really be able to go off on that but really, what more needs to be said?

Needless to say I am currently wearing jeans and a flannel shirt and returned something to Wal-Mart; I ended up having to play follow the leader with the manager, explaining my "case" to him, and even offering to show him that I am returning the exact product I ordered from their web site because the invoice was vague and it couldn't possibly be an error by "corporate".
UPDATE to WAITING post of several days ago:
You ever notice how when you have things to do, there seems to be never enough time to get them done while when you haven't got much to do, time seems endless?

3 comments:

egan said...

When could it possibly be absolutely necessary to shop at Best Buy? It's not like there's a shortage of stuff they sell in their stores. You can easily never step foot in that place if you don't want to.

Chris said...

Egan - you are absolutely correct, I could never walk into a best buy again and never miss it.

Joy said...

I've noticed that about how we're dressed, too. It's interesting. I guess we do that, too, when we see someone for the first time.