Saturday, January 10, 2009

Where in the World is Doyle Redland?

I've been a big fan of The Onion News for quite some time subscribing toonionmovie the daily podcast ensuring at least one minute of laughter each day. I was pretty surprised the other day when surfing about in Netflix to see that there was an Onion movie.
I wanted to love this movie because I really love the one minute podcasts but the fact is that at no point did this ever really feel like a movie but rather, a collection of little onion sketches. There was an attempt to tie it all together with common threads and I did laugh enough to give the thing a 3 out of 5 on the rating scale, but to call is a movie and expect it to hold up like one in not something that should have been done. In fact, I learned that this movie has been in the can since 2003 (which answered the mystery of how Rodney Dangerfield, who died in 2204, was able to make a cameo) but not released until 2008, and direct to DVD at that.
The thing that was missing most for me is the voice of The Onion podcast. I didn't do the research but I suppose it's possible that "Doyle Redland" may have become that voice sometime after he making of this movie but it's the voice I've come to associate with The Onion. I feel compelled to mention that I had such a hard time sitting through the entire eighty something minutes of this film in one sitting that I didn't. I watched this film in two sittings - again, there are quite a few laughs and for me, it was all those laughs, written by the same writers of the podcast I enjoy so much that held it all together for me.

No comments: