Monday, April 27, 2009

“Cup” Cake

A colleague gave me this recipe called “5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake”; it goes like this:
  • 4 tbsp. flour
  • 4 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp. milk
  • 3 tbsp. oil
  • 3 tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • A small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large microwave safe mug
  1. Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well.
  2. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
  3. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
  4. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract and mix again.
  5. Put your mug in the microwave for 3 minutes (1000W oven).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug; don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT!
So, I saw this and of course had to try it out. The first attempt, I followed the instructions as above and after I turned out the cake onto a plate, there was still a heap of floury, dry ingredients at the bottom. Obviously, mixing it in the confines of the mug was not as easy as it seemed because there was no way to know just how well mixed it was.
Here are some photos from the second attempt (notes to follow):
For the second time, I mixed the ingredients in a bowl; dry ingredients in one, wet ingredients in another, then I brought them together and mixed them well.
as you can see from the first two photos, there’s a cake look about it and mixing it well made a huge difference. I cut the thing in half and added some powdered sugar then some ice cream to finish the dessert.
Conclusion – it’s a neat trick but the texture and taste are not so great. It certainly doesn’t suck but I am not sure I’ll make this a staple.
UPDATE: 4/28 7:30am - after sleeping on it, I realize I should probably confirm the wattage of my microwave instead of just assuming it's 1000 watts. The consistency of the cake was similar to an overcooked cake so before I write it off into the sunset, try #3 will have to happen.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow the Naked Chef (isn't that Jamie Oliver?) better watch out. Nice touch with the chocolate ice cream. Did you put chocolate chips in it? I certainly hope so because more chocolate is always a good thing.

Chris said...

Susan - Yes, chocolate chips for me are never optional, always required! I only wish I went with the Chocolate colored FiestaWare :)

April said...

So? Did you try it again? Maybe on medium instead of high? I am so going to try this.

And Chris, did you seriously just reference FiestaWare in your above comment? I am a happily married woman, but I am pretty sure I just fell in platonic, non-sexual love with you. Recipes on your blog, shared love of Fiesta and mutual disdain for Twilight. We are soul mates!

Chris said...

April - "Platonic Non-Sexual Love?" Sounds just like marriage :) Be well adn give the recipe a try (after reading my post of Wednesday evening). Smooches :)