Saturday, August 22, 2009

Alaska Trip Journal – Part 14

Friday, July, 31st, 2009 continued…
I was too full to eat dinner yet so i thought I would go to the 7:30 show in the Stardust Lounge and have dinner afterwards. The show was called “Cirque Pan” and was billed as a tribute to Peter Pan. Again, there were some terrific performances, the dancers, singers, and acrobats were all quite entertaining and talented but the show itself wasn’t much – poor direction/production – very disjointed. Smack dab in the middle of the show, which to that point at least had characterizations that were relevant to Peter Pan, a group of performers come out and sing “Lady Marmalade”; it was so out of left field. It was a fabulous performance of a great song but what the heck does it have to do with a tribute to Peter Pan? Perhaps it was there for those on the heavier drinking plan than I and to them it made more sense.
DSC00180 When the show portion of the show ended, many of the staff and crew came on stage during a song – I know this is super corny but I kind of liked this. Having taken three cruises now, I’ve spent a little bit of time chatting it up with the various employees and a good part of the crew stay on board for 10 months at a time leaving their family and lives behind to earn a living – and they work very hard. So, for me, I think it is really nice to see these people who work so hard to make my vacation special get some recognition.
I left the theater around 8:40 and was ready for some dinner. Just a couple of floors down from the theater sits the familiar Seven Seas restaurant where I headed for what was a superb meal that I will share with you now:
  • Seafood ceviche
  • Curried butternut squash soup
  • “Surf and Surf” which included: shrimp, mussels, scallops, filet of snapper and a lobster tail over a bed of linguine (though it was actually fettucini)
  • Flourless molten chocolate cake with raspberry sauce
After dinner, you know by now I went walking for a while. I notice a small boat heading for the ship. As I was nearing the front of the vessel, one of the crew with a heavy Phillipino accent looked at me, pointed to the oncoming boat and said what sounded like “Pi-rate!” I got freaked out because there have been some stories in the news involving pirates and with a full belly and an evening Alaska wind blowing, muffling a thick accent – I thought, for a very short time, that there was potential trouble on the horizon. And, I was suspicious of the dude with the heavy Phillipino accent because he was smiling when he said what he did and then ran quickly inside a staff/crew only door.
So here I was, caught in a moment where I thought that a pirate ship was heading directly for the Norwegian Sun. I took cover behind a wall while peering out to see more of this oncoming boat. Very rapidly the boat got close enough for me to see a large Canadian flag waving proudly and seconds later, the word PILOT emblazoned loudly on its even louder yellow exterior. I began to laugh, almost uncontrollably, and then proceeded indoors as the wind was picking up while the temperature was dropping.
I stopped by the Internet cafe to use the last six minutes of the time I had purchased. The slow, crappy Internet rendered those six minutes useless so I just let it go – no sense being bitter at this point. By now it was 11ish and I was right next to Dazzles, the nightclub. the “White Hot Party” was just getting started, stealing a party theme from the famed Sean Puffy P-Diddy Diddy Combs. On this ship, they weren’t as strict about the white clothing only rule as Diddy is and it was something they were promoting the heck out of the last day or two. I decided to check out the action and it was quite crowded. The cruise director’s staff planted themselves in the center of the dance floor, all decked out in white. They were working the crowd as best they can while showing off the effects of an all white wardrobe under ultraviolet light. I stuck around but only for a short time realizing that my desire to sleep at some point won over my desire to continue partying. Somewhere just before the strike of midnight, I wandered back to my room and called it a night.

No comments: