Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alaska Trip Journal – Part 16

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 continued…
norwegian_sun_big After lunch I played a little game of “how many different places on the ship can I do as little as humanly possible (except of course going from place to place).” One of my main goals of this vacation was to relax as much as possible. I needed to recharge my batteries and I know once I get back home, things are only going to get stressful. The day after I get home, the vinyl siding project kicks off and then, back to work on the 10th where…I’ll stop here with that stuff. At 3:00pm I went to the Windjammer bar, call me nuts but that just oozes gay bar name to me, for another game show, “Win, Lose, or Draw”. These games shows have been great fun.
I just remembered a story. When I first got into my stateroom on the first day of the cruise, I picked up the “Freestyle Daily” newsletter to see what was going on about the ship. I took notice that at 6:00pm in the chapel, there was a “Friends of Bill W” meeting, which I know is Alcoholics Anonymous. Just beneath that listing was another group gathering in the “Havana Bar” – the “Friends of Dorothy”. I had never heard of this group before and I was curious who they were. I made the humorous assumption that it was shopaholics anonymous and even began making inquiries of my fellow cruisers. I got nowhere until several days later when I decided to Google it on my Blackberry. Now this would be the most logical place for me to reveal who the Friends of Dorothy are but each of you reading this fall into two groups: those who already know and are already laughing at my naiveté and then those of you who don’t know – and for those of you that fall into this category, I am going to leave it to you to look it up – so you could laugh at me later.
Funny thing I’ve noticed, at home, time drags when I am doing nothing; perhaps because it is so hard to be completely relaxed at home. Here though, I have loved every minute of doing something, and of doing absolutely nothing. Heck, here I went out of my way to plan special times to do absolutely nothing! I lie down on a lounge chair poolside in one moment and in the very next moment, it seems hours have gone by. Today was no exception to this odd time phenomenon and as I write this at 7:15pm – I consider the balance of my day and see dinner and a show in my relatively immediate future.
sun_four_seasons_184x133 Okay, it’s dinner time at the Four Seasons restaurant and I am taking this one seriously. “The Last Supper” as it is jokingly referred to by some and the menu choices were so wonderful, that I chose to eat like a Roman emperor. Here’s what my meal was made up of:
  • Gravlax Salmon Tartare – cucumber salad, toasted brioche, dill honey
  • Escargot “Bourgignone (sp.)”
  • Fresh Mozzarella and Vine ripened Tomato Salad with sweet basil and extra virgin olive oil
  • English Cut Strip Loin with Yorkshire Pudding, Roasted Potatoes, and Horseradish Cream
  • Raspberry-Almond Torte with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Ganache
  • Mocha Cheesecake with Caramelized Banana Sauce
For me to say that this meal was extraordinary would be gross understatement. As a plus, the waiter was a delightful and distinguished older gentleman from Jamaica who really enhanced this dining experience. I would have loved to walk around for a while after a meal such as this but the last show was set to start in less than 20 minutes at the Stardust Lounge and it would fill up fast; so I went to rustle up a seat in the theater.
I made my way to an excellent seat as I awaited performances by Brooklyn (my hometown) born tenor Alberto Sanchez and another comedy/magic performance by Jean Pierre Parent. Sanchez offered up several operatic numbers including a two song tribute to Pavoratti as well as show tunes and several standards of popular music. Jean Pierre added some material not seen/heard in his full length performance form Thursday evening. Both performers did a great job keeping the crowd entertained and when all was said and done, it was time to consider the vacation over and prepare for disembarkation tomorrow followed by a long (very long) day of travel. I returned to my stateroom, packed my luggage, set a 6:15am wake up call (paranoia) and off to sleep was I.

No comments: