Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Alaska Trip Journal – Part 7

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 continued…
The ride back to the ship led to a bald eagle sighting and a view of the governor’s mansion recently vacated by Sarah Palin. Nearing noon, the next consideration was lunch and I opted again for a fine dining experience at the Seven Seas restaurant. Here were my choices today:
  • Jambal papaya with exotic fruit and ginger
  • Baby shrimp, crabmeat and salmon cocktail
  • Goat cheese ravioli swimming in a creamy pool of delicious sauce whose name I can’t give you
  • Warm bittersweet chocolate soufflé (by far the best dessert I’ve had this far)
DSC00095After lunch I found myself poolside, lounging to the views of leaving port, fellow cruisers enjoying the warm pool weather, and the oddities that clearly have no regard for a mirror that trounce around in things far more revealing than should be legal.
I wrote a bit then opted for a poolside nap and then treating myself to a local beer, “Alaskan Amber”, brewed and bottled in Juneau. The beer was cold, satisfying and delicious.
With late afternoon drawing near, I set out to find a spot at the front of the ship as we were scheduled to pass through the Tracy Arm Fjord to the Sawyer Glacier. If i had to pick my favorite part of the cruise thus far, the couple of hours in the intense, sometimes chilly winds just staring in awe at the cavernous peaks and valleys sculpted by the glacier. There aren’t enough words or photographs I could offer that would do justice to the sheer magnificence of the sights I witnessed cruising the Fjord. Here are some of the photos I was able to capture:
DSC00099DSC00100DSC00101DSC00102DSC00103DSC00106DSC00109    DSC00111DSC00112DSC00116DSC00118
DSC00119    
There were a few other pictures and of course, these are nice but to see it up close…WOW!
To be continued…

1 comment:

Joy said...

Wow! It's gorgeous there!